Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Questions About the Olympics

1) Why do the water polo players wear those little bonnets on their heads? Does it offer some protection from getting hit in the head, or is it to keep the water our of their ears? Why don't they wear goggles like the swimmers?

2) Does it bother anyone else that the Chinese gymnasts are believed to be underage and there's nothing that anyone can do about it? Would I care as much if they hadn't gotten the gold medal? I think they clearly deserved to win, but it just bothers me when people don't follow rules.

3) Why are there different events for men's and women's gymnastics? I wonder when, historically, the men's apparatus were designated as Horizontal Bar, Pommel Horse, Rings, Parallel Bars, Floor, and Vault while the women only have four: vault, floor, uneven bars, beam. Why don't men do beam? Why can't women do rings?

4) Why do the divers shower before they do their dives?

5) Has there ever been a situation where two teams from the some country (for example, beach volleyball) had to play each other for the gold medal?

Just some random thoughts. I think I've been watching too much coverage!

3 comments:

Leeann said...

I pretty much don't know the answers to your questions but I am thinking the Chinese girls are younger than 16. If not, they are really young looking 16 year olds!

Pamela Fierro said...

What I've read is that it is pretty much known that they are underage, but nothing is being done because they go by the passports, and they have passports that say they are 16. ::::shrug::::

Here's an article from Time Magazine about the issue.

Michelle said...

What I want to know is when did synchronized diving become a sport?!